Pages

Friday, May 21, 2021

Epro 8 Challenge

Kia ora bloggers this week for Epro 8 the Year 6’s and I did this challenge, the challenge is called stem bridges. We had to build bridges that were strong enough to hold a toy car and strong enough to stay in one place & not move around everywhere. We watched these two videos about bridges, how they work and were built. Why I think we did this was to learn to communicate with our group and work together as one, mahi tahi. There were three types of bridges to choose from,  which were all different designs. The three bridges were called truss bridge, suspension bridge and cable stayed bridge. My group was Anika, Shivam and Mikaira. The things we had to use to make a bridge was popsicle sticks, popsicle sticks with four evenly spread out holes, string and cardboard. We choose a bridge to build and it was the cable stayed bridge. The first thing we did was we made the bridge. While we were building the bridge it started to look more like a truss bridge so we decided to make a truss bridge instead.  When we finished making the bridge we tried to make the road by using the popsicle sticks with holes in it and string so we could tie the sticks together.  By the time we finished making our second popsicle stick road it was time to tidy up. When we were tidying up I saw two girls in my class put the cardboard back to where it goes and remembered that we could of used cardboard for our road instead of using popsicle sticks.  I told my group and we were annoyed because we tried about three different ideas to make the road when we could have just used cardboard.  What I think I did well was working with my group and making sure they are helping out and working with each other. What I could have done better is spent more time on trying to get the structure of the bridge instead of sorting the popsicle sticks into their color (color coordinating). What I learnt was that sometimes your plan doesn’t always work out to your original plan.  Do you also wanna know something “teamwork makes the dreamwork” said the author.  

Have you done a challenge like this before?


No comments:

Post a Comment